October 2, 2010

Visit To The Cemetery

My mom and I were shopping at Walmart yesterday (when am I NOT at Walmart??) when I saw this beautiful bouquet of flowers that I just had to buy.  I told my mom that after we stopped by her house, that I would like to swing by the cemetery and place them at my dad's and my sister-in-law, Nanci's graves. 
My dad served an LDS Mission to the Hawaiian Islands (he LOVED Hawaii very much and I think if he had had a chance, he would have lived there forever), so we thought it fitting to have the Laie Hawaii Temple and a hibiscus flower on the front of his headstone.
On the back of the headstone, we put 3 plumeria flowers (each representing his daughters) and our names.  When the headstone was placed at his grave site (back in late July), Sumiko and I gathered our kids and made the trip to the cemetery.  When Kiyomi (Sumiko's daughter), saw the names on the back, she asked why Sumiko's name wasn't first.  We told her that we went in order of when we were born and I think she still walked away thinking that her mom should have had her name first...ha ha ha, it was pretty cute! 
We are still working on a headstone for Nanci, thank goodness McMillan Mortuary (wonderful Mortuary inb St. George!) gave us a temporary  headstone marker.  My sister-in-law Nanci, lost the valiant fight with lymphoma a month to the day that my dad passed away.  She was upbeat and loved life to the fullest.  She loved her family and the night before she passed away, she told me that she would deeply miss her 4 children, Stephen, Brooklyn, Kiaora and Vaugh (that was so heartbreaking to hear).  We talked for hours the night before she  passed and I believe, that she was truly at peace.  We all miss her very much. 

No comments: